Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

OPI (?) Pulled Out a Plum

I'm back!  Sorry for the hiatus - we took a wonderful trip to Italy, and had a fantastic time.  It's been hard getting back into the swing of things since we returned, but I have several manis to share!

This one is - maybe? - OPI (?) Pulled Out a Plum.  I found it at TJ Maxx, and I've never heard of it before.  I googled it, and the only posts are sales in the UK and New Zealand.  Odd.  It is number NL 920, which is different than most OPI's that have 2 letters, a space, then one letter and 2 numbers.  So that raises my suspicions.  The printing on the label looks fine in terms of letter formation and placement, but the ink itself looks different - this one has a more gritty textured look to the paint than legitimate OPI's that are glossy and smooth.  Another red flag.  Hmm.

All that aside, it is a very pretty polish.  It is a midtone plum with sparkles, and it looks lovely, especially in the sun.  Application was ok - minimal streaking, and built nicely in opacity.  It has beautiful pink-toned microshimmer / microglitter that really sparkles in direct light, and gives an interesting mottled appearance in indirect light.  I like it, whether it's legit or not!





This is a shot of the backs of the bottles of Pulled Out a Plum and a legitimate OPI, Athletes in Cleats from the MLB collection.  The writing looks convincing...
...but if you look at the paint itself, the Plum is lumpy and the real OPI is smooth, and it is smooth in all the other OPI bottles I've checked as well.  

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog while searching for the exact polish! I also picked it up at TJ Maxx this weekend, I'm pretty sure it's a face OPI because the bottom sticker on mine says "OPI PRODUCTS INC." which I've never seen on a regular OPI. I don't think this is the first questionable OPI I've gotten from TJ Maxx - last winter, a different location in a different state had "Merry Fashionista" sets; I picked up one with a really pretty maroon polish with pink/gold shimmer that was just called "Burgundy." I haven't been able to track down any info on these sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it may be a line of "mystery" polishes under a decoy name. On the back of those paired up OPI boxes listed a bunch of the Katy Perry collection that I was looking for. I had sworn I found Last Friday Night in one of those pairings, but it read "Better Be Blue" at the bottom. That name of course wasn't listed on the back.

    Then I did some research and this person's blog popped up:
    http://imabeautygeek.com/2013/11/14/opi-mystery-polish-stainless-steel-and-i-like-boys-enberries/#axzz30oT8vNxq

    Given it's not a fake, I wonder what color this one really is?

    ReplyDelete